Five Simple Ways to Make Spirits Bright
Spread the joy this season by making someone else’s holiday special too. Whether it’s buying a gift, lending a hand or even a smile, everyone could use a little boost during this season.
Five Ways to Give Back:
1. The Depot: The go-to store for unique holiday gifts and handmade crafts, the Depot donates proceeds to Children’s Aid and Family Services, our area’s leading nonprofit offering human services and child welfare programs to the most vulnerable. DepotGiftStore.com
2. All Wrapped Up: Bergen Volunteers’ All Wrapped Up program will match you with a family in need from the community. “Adopt” a family and buy items off their wish list to make their holiday brighter. Contact Debbie Emery at 201.489.9454.
3. Pay it Forward: Next time you’re with your kids at the Starbucks drive-thru or settling your bill at a diner, pay for the customer behind you too. Paying it forward is a great way to show kids that a simple act of kindness goes a long way.
4. Donors Choose: Connect with a school in an area where funds are badly needed. You can target a school hit by hurricanes or in a low-income community by funding a teacher’s class project (i.e. books for a library, basic classroom supplies). You’ll be rewarded by thank-you notes from happy children. DonorsChoose.org
5. Smile at six strangers today: Their reaction will surprise you, and you’ll get it back tenfold.