Sweet Potato Spirals Swapped for Spaghetti!
We asked Johna Mailolli, Wyckoff ShopRite’s dietitian, to provide a healthier version of traditional Spaghetti Bolognese.
“This dish is filled with colorful, fiber-rich vegetables which will keep you fuller longer,” Johna says. “The lentils provide plant-based protein, and the sweet potato spirals provide Vitamin A and fiber.”
Chunky Lentil Bolognese with Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 7 oz mirepoix (chopped celery, onion, and carrots)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Chopped parsley
- 2 tsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- 14.5 oz no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp no-salt-added Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry green lentils, rinsed
- 16 oz fresh sweet potato noodles
- In saucepot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mirepoix; cook and stir 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste; cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add broth and lentils; heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 35 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 4 cups.
- In large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add noodles; cook and stir 7 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Top noodles with Bolognese and parsley.